Stage Work Resumes After Worker Killed in Shakira Rio Setup

Construction resumed at Copacabana after a worker, Gabriel de Jesus Firmino, died during stage assembly; authorities are investigating alleged safety lapses.

Overview

A summary of the key points of this story verified across multiple sources.

1.

Workers resumed construction of Shakira's Copacabana stage on Monday after work was halted amid a police investigation.

2.

A 28-year-old locksmith, Gabriel de Jesus Firmino, died on Sunday after being crushed by two stage elevators when the equipment was activated by another worker, investigators said.

3.

Investigator Ângelo Lages said the Brazilian company that operates the stage is under investigation for alleged non-compliance with workplace safety regulations.

4.

Shakira is scheduled to give a free concert on Saturday, May 2, at Copacabana Beach, an event series that has previously drawn as many as 2 million people.

5.

First responders treated and transported the worker to Miguel Couto Municipal Hospital where officials confirmed his death, and organizers pledged support to the company and the victim's family.

Written using shared reports from
5 sources
.
Report issue

Analysis

Compare how each side frames the story — including which facts they emphasize or leave out.

Center-leaning sources present this coverage neutrally, focusing on factual reporting and balanced perspectives. They cite police investigation into workplace safety, report the victim's death, include beachgoers calling for the concert to continue, and note organizers' statements of solidarity. Minimal evaluative language appears, with context provided rather than editorial judgment.