Trump Seeks Stay On $83.3M E. Jean Carroll Defamation Judgment
Trump asks the 2nd Circuit to pause an $83.3 million defamation judgment while the DOJ seeks to substitute the United States under the Westfall Act.
Trump’s DOJ Plots to Bail Him Out of $83 Million Lawsuit
Trump, hoping for an eventual Supreme Court victory, seeks to halt $83M payment in sexual abuse case

The DOJ Wants to Bail Trump Out of Paying Massive E. Jean Carroll Judgement

DOJ Seeks To Replace Trump In $83M Carroll Appeal - Joe.My.God.
Overview
Trump's lawyer Justin D. Smith asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in a filing Tuesday to stay an approximately $83.3 million defamation judgment while Trump seeks Supreme Court review.
The filing followed the Second Circuit's refusal last week to rehear Trump's claims that he enjoys presidential immunity and that the United States should substitute for him as defendant.
The Justice Department said in a Tuesday filing it will ask the Supreme Court to substitute the United States for Trump under the Westfall Act, which would require dismissal of Carroll's defamation claim.
A jury awarded Carroll roughly $83 million to $83.3 million in 2024 for defamation and a separate 2023 jury awarded her $5 million, and Carroll's team said it will not oppose a stay if Trump increases the bond by $7,462,492.74.
Trump's lawyers said there is a fair prospect the Supreme Court will reverse lower-court rulings on presidential immunity and the Westfall Act and asked the stay to preserve funds pending Supreme Court review.
Analysis
Center-leaning sources present largely neutral coverage, emphasizing legal procedure and attributing claims to named parties. They report the appeals filing, prior jury awards, Trump’s denials and his lawyer’s stay request without loaded language. Editorial choices favor factual chronology and source attribution; quoted accusations and defenses are treated as source content, not framing.