Thai-Cambodian Border Conflict Persists Despite Trump's Ceasefire Announcement
Thai-Cambodian border fighting persists despite President Trump's ceasefire claim. Thai officials deny an agreement, Cambodia is silent, with dozens dead and hundreds of thousands displaced.

Fighting rages on Thai-Cambodian border despite Trump's ceasefire claim
Fighting rages on Thai-Cambodian border despite Trump's ceasefire claim

Thailand vows to keep fighting Cambodia, hours after Trump’s ceasefire call

Trump says Thailand-Cambodia conflict will 'cease' as both sides 'are ready for peace'
Overview
President Trump announced a renewed ceasefire between Thailand and Cambodia, stating he had engaged with both prime ministers to halt ongoing border violence.
Despite Trump's declaration, fighting persists on the Thai-Cambodian border, with Thai officials denying any agreement to a ceasefire.
Cambodia has remained silent regarding President Trump's ceasefire claim, even as reports indicate continued clashes and casualties.
The ongoing conflict has resulted in approximately two dozen reported deaths, including 11 Thai troops and an estimated 165 Cambodian soldiers, displacing hundreds of thousands.
Cambodia has reported civilian casualties from the continued fighting, though they have not confirmed military casualties, highlighting the severe impact on the border region.
Analysis
Center-leaning sources frame the story by consistently highlighting the discrepancy between former President Trump's ceasefire claim and the reality on the ground. They emphasize official denials from Thai and Cambodian authorities and the ongoing intensity of the conflict, using strong language to underscore the lack of agreement. The narrative positions Trump's announcement as misinformed or premature.
FAQ
No — Thai officials denied agreeing to a ceasefire after President Trump said both sides had accepted one, and Cambodia did not confirm the claim; fighting continued despite Trump's announcement.
Reports indicate about two dozen deaths in the most recent week, including 11 Thai troops and an estimated 165 Cambodian soldiers per Thai figures, and hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced across the border regions.
A skirmish on Dec. 7 that wounded two Thai soldiers is reported to have derailed the ceasefire, followed by Thai airstrikes and ground operations and claims of incursions and attacks along multiple border locations.
Cambodia has remained largely silent on the ceasefire claim and has not confirmed military casualty figures; it has reported civilian casualties from the fighting and accused Thailand of carrying out airstrikes.
Malaysia and ASEAN previously helped broker a July ceasefire, the U.N. Security Council held an emergency session in July, and international leaders including President Trump have since urged both sides to honor ceasefires, though renewed clashes have continued.